Two family members were burnt to ashes in the wee hours of Thursday morning at around 3 a.m in a house fire.
The deceased have been only identified as Godfrey Kanaga, 38, and his 6-year-old daughter.
The incident happened in Kityanga cell, Buliisa town council, Buliisa district, when the duo were sleeping in a grass-thatched house.
It’s alleged that the house was blasted by lightning.
According to the deceased’s brother, Richard Mwesigwa, due to the multiple lightning strikes, this prompted him to come out of his house only to find his brother’s house on fire.
Mwesigwa told Biiso FM that it was too late for them to rescue his brother and the daughter, as he couldn’t enter the house since fire had spread all over the house.
He also wondered the main cause of the incident since his late brother didn’t have wrangles with anyone.
Muliisa Epaphras, the LC3 Chairperson for Buliisa Town Council, suspects Wednesday’s heavy downpour, accompanied by thunderstorms, to have sparked off the fire on the grass-thatched house.
We couldn’t get a comment from Julius Allan Hakiza, the Albertine Region Police Spokesperson, since his known number was not going through by press time.
On November 1, this year, two women were burnt to ashes in a grass-thatched house at the Kamagongolo landing site in Walukuba village, Butiaba Sub County Buliisa district.
The same incident happened at around 3 a.m.
The deceased, identified as Jacklyn Bidongo, 40, and only Falling, 43, both residents of Sitini Village in Biiso Sub County, were burned while sleeping in the same house.
In September last year, a thunderbolt claimed the life of a 25-year-old man in Buliisa.
The deceased, identified as Francis Businge, was a resident of Tangala village, Bubwe parish, in Biiso sub-county. He was also killed around 3 a.m.
Businge was sleeping inside his grass-thatched house during a heavy downpour when the lightning bolt struck and killed him on the spot.
In July of the same year, a thunderbolt claimed the life of a 13-year-old boy and critically injured five others in Buliisa.
The deceased, identified as Howard Okello, was the son of Peter Okecha, the LC III Chairperson of Biiso town council. The incident happened at around 5:30 p.m. as the children were playing during a heavy downpour.